Friday, January 25, 2013

How I had lunch for $3.20 in Downtown Chicago

We have all heard that we shouldn't grocery shop when we are hungry.  I have done this, it is NOT good.  For the pocketbook OR the nutritional benefit of the shopper.

But I am starting to take this one step further.  My new eating out motto:

Don't eat (out) when you are hungry.

Crazy?  Probably.  Here are my reasons.

1.  Nutritional (or rather caloric) benefit
2.  Financial benefit

1.  Portion sizes in America are crazy!  But studies show if it is in front of you, you will most likely eat it.  I am speaking from experience.  

Scenario:  
We are all in the car.  No car-snacks planned ahead of time.  (bad momma), everyone is experiencing the low-blood-sugar crankies.  Who is with me?  it is NOT pretty.  So we pull into a fast food restaurant.  (or sit-down, but who wants to wait?)  We order everyone WAY more food than we need, we eat it ALL and end up feeling stuffed, tired and still a little cranky.  

Car-snacks or purse-snacks (for us, pistachios, walnuts, cashews) are a MUST to avoid low blood-sugar.

2.  IT IS SOOOOO easy to spend more than you planned when eating out.

The other day, I took the kids to meet Olivia's friend from gymnastics at Chick-Fil-A.  I had them eat lunch before we left.  They were confused, cut complied.

I knew from experience that they would be busy playing, and we would throw away some of the food we over-ordered.  I ate as well.  

We arrived, the line was CRAZY long, instead of hungry kids whining at me (insert low-blood-sugar-crankies. I might add, whining is my cryptonite, CAN NOT STAND IT) they went off to play and enjoy their friend.  And after all, isn't  that what it is all about?  I want it to be more about the company than the food.  We finally ordered our food. I ordered one meal to split for the 3 of us.  Total bill $7.60.  The kids came to eat, I split up our meal, laid it out nicely in front of each of us.  They ate, and talked.  I might add they ate slowly (who else shovels food in when they are starving?  Ahem, me.)  They got back up to play and guess what?  Food still uneaten.  We all had plenty to eat and still took some chicken home.  

Summary.

My goal is to make it more about the company than the food.  The food is WONDERFUL and very tasty, but should it be the focus of our fellowship?

So, we spent $7.60 on lunch for 3 people.  REALLY enjoyed our meal with no low-blood-sugar fits (PLEASE tell me other people experience these)  and the fellowship of our friends.  

Good for my caloric budget and DEFINETLY good for our financial budget.

Back to my $3.20 meal in Chicago

Snacked all morning on Walnuts.  
I know it was only Chipotle, but still, its Chicago where BREATHING the AIR seems to cost money.

Ordered 1 taco and a kids chips and water.  

PLENTY of food for me.  

(And I had room to enjoy some Garrett's popcorn on the train-ride home.  {happy sigh})

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!!! Thanks for the idea! My husband and I often order a bowl at Chipotle and split it, but even that sometimes is too much. I love the idea of one taco!!! And I love your thoughts about fellowship being about fellowship, NOT about the food! I seem to eat way too much when I go out with other people, as I'm not paying attention to how full I am. Good words!

    ReplyDelete